Dan Gilden Creative Investigator Award
Background & Purpose
Dan Gilden, CEO of JEN Associates, has led efforts for AAHCM to measure the value of home based primary care. Dan’s brilliance and successful ideas have broken barriers and have allowed AAHCM to publish and disseminate important results on the value of home-based medical care, leading CMS to revise their views on the high need, high cost group. It is AAHCM’s wish to support the same drive, dedication, and creativity Dan has modeled throughout his life, as an investigator.
The Dan Gilden Creative Investigator Award is given to an exceptional investigator for his/her innovative body of work advancing the field of home care medicine. This award recognizes an investigator who has made great contributions to the field of home care medicine.
Nominees and nominators do not need to be current AAHCM members, but should have experience in the field of home care medicine. Self-nominations are accepted. Evidence of creative investigation may include, but is not limited to, the following:
- Demonstrated creativity and innovation in the field of home care medicine
- First-author OR co-author of an original publication (not a review article) in home care medicine
- Poster/speaking presentation on a home care medicine related topic at a national meeting
The nomination packet should consist of the following materials:
- Letter of Nomination: This letter should be written by an individual who knows the nominee’s work, and should document the nominee’s contributions and impact. If this is a self-nomination, please document your contributions as they relate to advancing the field of home care medicine.
- Nominee’s Curriculum Vitae (CV)
- Letter(s) of Recommendation: Nominator should submit at least one (maximum 2) letters of recommendation from the nominee’s peers, mentors, or colleagues. These letters should not exceed one page.
Nominations for this award are now open.
Nominate now: Dan Gilden Creative Investigator Award Nomination Packet
An award plaque will be presented to the awardee at the October 2017 Annual Meeting. The awardee will also receive a $1000 monetary award, and a complimentary one-year membership.
The Awards Committee and Research Committee will establish a review panel consisted of members from each committee to review applications and select an award recipient.
*Nominators and nominees will be notified of a decision in September 2018.
The inaugural Dan Gilden Creative Investigator Award was presented to Sam Edwards, MD MPH.
Sam Edwards is a general internist and health services researcher at the Veterans Affairs Portland Health Care System and an Assistant Professor of Medicine at Oregon Health & Science University (OHSU). Dr. Edwards’s research focuses on the role and function of primary care in health systems, with a focus on efforts to care for high needs individuals through VA Home Based Primary Care (HBPC). Dr. Edwards's work on the effectiveness of VA HBPC has been published in JAMA Internal Medicine, the Journal of the American Geriatrics Society and has been presented at multiple national meetings, including as a plenary at the Society of General Internal Medicine. Dr. Edwards has received a Career Development Award from the VA Health Services Research and Development service to continue research into understanding why, how and for whom HBPC is most effective, and to design and pilot an intervention to improve HBPC site performance.